This post is a must read for computer technicians, and the resources can be used by both amateurs and professionals. I hereby share some of my clues for knowledge!
- The MAC address vendor search lets you identify the vendor for a MAC address, it is very helpful when troubleshooting ARP tables. Just insert the MAC address such as 00-00-01, you will see that it is identified as XEROX.
- Ever been on the lookout for a BGP looking glass? Wonder what your network look like on the Internet? Need to traceroute yourself? Thomas Kernen maintains traceroute.org, which is a public looking glass listing service. Alternatively you can use routeviews.org which also provides an excellent service!
- Need Cisco documentation? Ciscos own site can be a very good source for information, at least when you learn to find your way around. You can find an article about mostly every technology in a Cisco box on their website!
- Need something that can calculate your subnets on the fly? I have an Online IPv4 and IPv6 IP Calculator, and I also made an AJAX version of it which is available on ipv6calculator.net, it can be faster to use in some situations.
- The RIRs (Regional Internet Registry) can give you information about IP addresses, you can find out mostly anything you would like to know about the EU IP address space from querying for example RIPEs Whois Database.
Here is a list of the RIRs and their respective Whois Database
- To monitor your BGP announced prefix from the outside you can use the service BGPmon, which will monitor your prefixes and alert you in case of path changes.
- Dynamips is a Cisco emulator, it successfully emulates Cisco 7200, 3600 (3620, 3640 and 3660), 2691, 3725, 3745 and the 2600 platform. You can for example use it for testing network scenarios before deploying it!
- New software! Fresh meat! Check out freshmeat.net, this has been around forever now. New versions of open software projects are announced there, and it is also a browsable site for Open Software.
Now it is time for you to do your homework, let me know which sites you find useful or funny in your work or sites that you use on a daily basis, GO COMMENT!